In 1958 the first community Easter pageant was held. In 1961, the format was changed to its present form of 17 “Living Pictures.” A narration was added to establish the mood and background of each scene and its accompanying choral numbers.
Governor Charles Thone signed Legislation in 1981 that designated Curtis as Nebraska’s official “Easter City”.
The center cross is lighted each night during the Christmas and Easter seasons on a hill south of Curtis. It is visible for many miles.
The three crosses are a tribute to the Living Christ and a symbol of Christianity to all that see them.